Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Monday, May 3, 2010

Granite

When I was a kid and my mom would say "Don't take things for granted" I thought she was saying "Don't take things for granite". It kind of makes sense either way actually. She was telling me to appreciate the nutritious meal I had before me... and not treat it like an ugly slab of rock. Perfect sense. Granted, I guess it's human nature to take things for granite. We're always looking to improve upon our current situation. We're seekers. We're restless impatient improvers. But every once in a while we're shocked into realized how great we really have it. Big things, like talking to a heart broken friend and realizing how fortunate I am to have such an amazing wife. And small things, like not being able to swallow and realizing how nice it is the rest of the year when I'm not battling a dang sore throat! Hopefully I'll feel better soon... because it feels like I've got a throat full of rocks. More specifically, granite.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! So funny and so true...I will try to never mistake you for a rock. Even though I happen to like rocks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought the same thing growing up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better by the time you read this, but love this thought. Taking things for granite I think pretty well occupied my time for a decade.

    ReplyDelete