Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Monday, May 3, 2010

Granite

When I was a kid and my mom would say "Don't take things for granted" I thought she was saying "Don't take things for granite". It kind of makes sense either way actually. She was telling me to appreciate the nutritious meal I had before me... and not treat it like an ugly slab of rock. Perfect sense. Granted, I guess it's human nature to take things for granite. We're always looking to improve upon our current situation. We're seekers. We're restless impatient improvers. But every once in a while we're shocked into realized how great we really have it. Big things, like talking to a heart broken friend and realizing how fortunate I am to have such an amazing wife. And small things, like not being able to swallow and realizing how nice it is the rest of the year when I'm not battling a dang sore throat! Hopefully I'll feel better soon... because it feels like I've got a throat full of rocks. More specifically, granite.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! So funny and so true...I will try to never mistake you for a rock. Even though I happen to like rocks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought the same thing growing up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better by the time you read this, but love this thought. Taking things for granite I think pretty well occupied my time for a decade.

    ReplyDelete