Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Sunday, December 26, 2010

Museum Day

Today was filled with the bittersweet joy that great art evokes...that feeling of beauty that aches somewhere deep that you can't quite name. We went to an art museum and saw paintings filled with passion and weary sculpted angels and pencil drawings so real I thought they might walk right off the wall and go have coffee together. I also was moved by a collection of spectacular dresses worn by a spectacular woman...Princess Di, and I couldn't help but cry when I laid eyes on Elton John's hand written verses for the song he wrote as a tribute to her. And as if all of that weren't enough, we went to one of Frank Lloyd Wright's spectacular homes and I was caught up in the rapture of details so lovingly rendered they could only be classified as true art. I am thankful for the visionaries who make such stunning creations, and in so doing, reflect the divine.

11 comments:

  1. "But I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you." click

    "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~ Charles A. Beard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever heard the Vigilantes of Love song "Skin"? It was all about Vincent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often get overwhelmed at museums. Too much good stuff in one place. I can't take it all in.

    Did you know Vigilantes of Love are from Athens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Athens??? They sound so quintessential Americana.

    Say what you will of greeks and gifts and such... they sure know how to throw sporting events and sing hell outta ballads!

    re: Vincent... amazing that no one bought a single one of his works during his lifetime. If not for the love, devotion and unflagging support of his brother, Theo, we may very well have never know the blessed gift(s) of this tortured soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful song, Buddy. My brother and I read the letters between Vincent and his brother and always thought there was a beautiful love story there -- a musical perhaps. I'm completely out of the loop on most popular music as I spend most my time listening to show tunes, so I had never even heard of this band. Doesn't surprise me that they're from Athens,Lisa, they have that cool kind of sound. I also love the Starry Starry Night song...evokes such a feeling of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to clarify. Athens, GA, home of the Bulldawgs, not Athens, Greece. I haven't heard any of their new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And lest we forget the country who has most deeply influenced the American South's cultural heritage...

    From her music, dance, sense of poetry, literature and politics; to even having been attributed to the origins of that charming drawl... Erin go bragh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS~
    Being a son of the "greatest county on earth" and having lips pressed firmly upon the Blarney Stone, I know of which I speak (type).

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PPS~
    ...and just 'cause I think Kara will really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa,

    Unless sautéing, there's no need to clarify on my account.

    I shant forget the wink next time I'm being facetiously stoopid.

    ;-) (place this one after "clarify") :)

    ReplyDelete