Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flat Stanley

I was incredibly grumpy this morning. I believe I may have actually growled at one point. I shuffled around in my robe missing plans I had made one by one which made me feel even worse. I missed church, then the farmer's market and when I looked at the work I had to do and pushed it away with a grunt. But the one thing I couldn't push away (because I had a deadline and I had to have it done in time to mail it tomorrow) was the thing that ended up bringing a smile to my face: Flat Stanley. My best friend's son sent me the little paper guy all the way from Georgia and asked me to show him around. So Saturday Ryan and I took him to see Griffith Park (where we got engaged) and then we went to a special secret place I'd never been before that had an amazing view of the Hollywood sign. After that we went to see the Walk of Fame and the handprints outside the Chinese Theater. And we met Superman. We also met a bum with a sign that said "Bet you $1 I can make you read this sign" and, well, I didn't take a picture of him with Flat Stanley, but a did give him a dollar -- a bet is a bet after all.
Looking through the pictures today made me remember the cool things that I forget are just around the corner from me. Things that used to make me giddy with excitement became old hat over the years, but seeing them again through Flat Stanley's eyes was pretty fun. And knowing the pictures were going to a classroom full of kids that might get some excitement from seeing Flat Stanley in such cool places made me -- wait for it -- happy. Didn't seem possible on a day like today, but it was and for that I am grateful. I'm also thankful my husband took the day to be a tourist with me and I'm glad Eli entrusted his little paper friend to me:)

3 comments:

  1. Very cool...reminds me of that garden gnome traveling the world, a great idea. Plus, only in LA would you have such talented bums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly enjoyed stepping on William Shatner. Well, his star on the walk of fame I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete