Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kids Today

As I was driving this morning, a song came on my favorite Broadway station (yes, I'm a dork) that has been in my head all day -- "Getting to Know You" from the King and I. And tonight I give thanks for the truth of the lyric that says "When you become a teacher, by your pupils you are taught." Being a part of Young Storytellers (a program that teaches 5th graders how to write screenplays) is a true joy in my life. Today when we arrived at the classroom, one of the girls was wearing a t-shirt that said: Music makes me happy. And that shirt made me happy. Then, after some games that are meant to be an ice breaker for the kids, I got to remember how good it feels to be silly. And that made me happy. And as if that weren't enough, my mentee, a lovely little girl named Tamara, informed me that she wanted to write a story about a hot dog...who dreams of becoming a doctor. How could that not make me happy? The story just gets better from there and became like my own little personal flask of joy I stole little sips from all day. And tonight I sit here smiling at it still. I'm grateful for big imaginations in small packages and I am really grateful that, much like joy, imagination is contagious.

3 comments:

  1. flask of joy -- that's hilarious. And I can't wait to come up with a Hotdog, MD poster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur! Young Storytellers helps me keep perspective in a busy week...whether it's playing silly games, or realizing how good we had it as kids (they have concrete playgrounds!), or a crazy imaginative idea (an ocean floor covered with string cheese?! brilliant!)...the kids teach us more than we could ever teach them in 8 short weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive