Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Being there

This morning I woke up and was surprised to find that the dark cloak of depression had somehow settled on me like the smoke monster on Lost -- unexpectedly and inexplicably, a total mystery. I suddenly felt afraid for no particular reason -- the sun was shining, my loved ones are healthy, I feel blessed by so much good fortune -- so of course, I was frustrated as to why I was feeling this way, which just made it worse. But I managed to pull myself out of bed, thinking it would help to get in the shower and try to have a normal morning -- unfortunately I found out a little too late that my entire leg had fallen asleep. So as I dragged my leg behind me looking very much like Quasimodo, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. I turned and checked out my reflection in the bathroom mirror to see A SPIDER HANGING FROM MY HAIR. What the what??? I pretty much decided at that point the day was going to be a total loss, so I crawled back in bed, determined to pull the covers up and hide away -- but then I got bored. I had actually slept too long. So I willed myself with all of my strength to pull my laptop onto my lap and as if grasping for the anecdote for the poisonous dart of melancholy that had been shot at me, with my last ounce of energy I pulled up this Joy blog. And my sister had written a blog...about being sick and getting well. And it gave me hope that the bad feelings never last forever. And I sat up and I pushed another little button with the little energy I had and skyped her...and she was there...just like she always is. And we talked and laughed and seeing her face made me feel better. And so, as I sit here now, having gotten through this difficult day, I am thankful for my sister. And for my brother who made me laugh with his bad ass geese story. And for Lindsay who offered to send me daffodils and telling me that spiders were good luck:)

2 comments:

  1. SPIDERS ARE GOOD LUCK! Especially on Wednesdays in March. Didn't you know that? You are one special lady. He was just saying hello, don't be sad! It was Charlotte's baby brother, and he didn't want you to be melancholy. I hope you didn't squish him. But if you did, he forgives you and loves you - like I do. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww- I am so glad that we could make your day a little better. Seeing you ALWAYS make me feel better :)
    And think about it: why are there so many inspiring stories out there? Because people have to go through a lot of crap. The back story of hardship has to be in place before the overcoming / healing / picking-up-by-bootstraps can happen. I'm praying that the 'hump' is very, very near for you. I'm anxious for you to be all better- your story is going to rock!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive