Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A true Giant

Tonight I watched the classic movie GIANT with James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson - a sprawling epic about a Texas family's love and losses, and about the racism, sexism and capitalism that changes them over the decades. It's a beautiful movie and I am forever grateful that I got to know the man who wrote it, Ivan Moffat. What started as a neighborly gesture to take a batch of cookies to the old man who lived in the apartment below me became a life changing friendship as the "old man" (who was livelier and smarter than I could ever hope to be) graciously agreed to mentor me and my fledgling writing career. And while he passed away a few years ago, Ivan will always be with me, and I'm thankful for little moments, like watching his movie today, that remind me of our friendship and make him feel near to me again.

2 comments:

  1. I think we are blessed when we make a simple gesture toward others like you did with the cookies. I have no doubt he is somewhere near indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect example of how spreading a little joy leads to so much more. Hm... maybe we should go meet the new neighbors...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive