Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Friday, April 2, 2010

Dancing dirty

Joy is having friends that turn you on to great movies, drenched in nostalgia, like Dirty Dancing, which takes place my last year of Junior High (in the olden days we had Junior High from 7 - 9 grades -- I would never have called myself a "freshman"! -- instead of Middle School. Most of the same awfulness, however...) and came out the year my son was born, which probably explains why I didn't see it then. It has a feisty heroine, which no movie actually filmed in 1963 would have -- that would have been "Where the Boys Are" and Yvette Mimieux walking down the middle of the highway saying, "He wasn't even a Yalie". (The other lead was Delores Hart who became a nun!). It turns out to be a relationship of mutual discovery between two people who actually challenge each other to live up to their convictions, and bring out the best in each other. And it is damn hot, with that Patrick Swayze (never really been a fan, but the boy's got a bod!) and all those hips gyrating -- OMG, and all this on Good Friday. I hope you all don't think I'm blasphemous, but it was my guilty pleasure of the evening, and it gives me hope. It's true that the person ages, but all the feelings inside are still the same. Thank you my gallant and wonderful friends for inviting me down this road, all those songs from my past, fabulous music, great dancing, wonderful love story, and a place where people stand up for other people. Almost sounds like church.

1 comment:

  1. I just totally laughed out loud! I'm sooo happy you liked it...it's one of my favorite movies EVER...you can't help but feel like a giddy teenager when you watch it! Makes me want to go pop it in the dvd player right now:)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive