Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cheerleading

Even though my dog has jumped up on the bed a hundred thousand times, every night he walks up to it, eyes huge with anxiety, and proceeds to make several attempts to jump -- which he bails out of before actually leaping. He forgets he can do it. It doesn't matter how many times he's made it, he always thinks THIS time he going to fall. Actually, he's very dramatic, so I'm pretty sure he thinks he's actually going to die. So I become his cheerleader, clapping for him, cajoling him, telling him he can do it in a high pitched enthusiastic voice. Eventually, the excitement in my voice convinces him and after 5 minutes of aborted tries, he finally jumps and makes it once again. Every once in a while, he has just psyched himself out too much and he sits spinning round and round until he's too tired to jump, so I'll give him an assist. All that's to say I am very thankful for the cheerleaders in my life, reminding me I can do it when I don't think I can. I was pretty sure I couldn't make it out of bed today, I've been so exhausted from travel and holidays and everything I just felt like I wanted to pull the covers over my head and sleep -- wake me when it's 2011. But my hubby was there to remind me I could get out of bed, and not only that, that I would be glad I did -- and I was. I had a wonderful time catching up with a dear high school friend that I hadn't seen in ten years, and then I went to my favorite hometown pizza place with my siblings and we came home and played a ridiculous game of Disney cranium. And before I knew it, I had made it through the whole day -- and ended up with a smile on my face. And now I'm back in bed, exhausted, yes, but happy. I can do it. Just like Pippin. I just need to be reminded. I guess we all do. So if you need some cheerleading out there here you go: YOU CAN DO IT! Just take a little leap -- YOU WILL MAKE IT! GOOOOOO, YOU!!:)

2 comments:

  1. The Land of Nod
    From Breakfast on through all the day
    At home among my friends I stay,
    But every night I go abroad
    Afar into the land of Nod.

    All by myself I have to go,
    With none to tell me what to do
    All alone beside the streams
    And up the mountain-sides of dreams.

    The strangest things are there for me,
    Both things to eat and things to see,
    And many frightening sights abroad
    Till morning in the land of Nod.

    Try as I like to find the way,
    I never can get back by day,
    Nor can remember plain and clear
    The curious music that I hear.
    ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

    ReplyDelete