Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Sunday, July 4, 2010

Look around

I was very grumpy this morning. For no reason at all...just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It's such a strange thing that you can have so many good and wonderful things in your life and still wake up feeling down from time to time. I tried to shake it by thinking of all I had to be thankful for...but that just made me feel worse because then I felt bad about feeling bad. So I tried to notice things going on around me a little more, keeping my eyes out for something to lift me out of my funk as I ran my errnds, and thankfully, I was not disappointed. It wasn't one thing, but a series of little things that eventually pulled me out of the mire. I had a rare sighting of a famous hairstylist I used to idolize in my youth, Jose Eber, the king of the 80's talk show make-over -- and he still had his trademark long hair and crazy cowboy hat after more than 20 years. Then I went to a shoe sale (I needed a parking validation) and managed to leave without buying a pair which made me feel very good about myself. And my hubby sent me a text that was like an electronically delivered ray of sunshine. And when I got home, the angel trumpets were smelling so sweet that I got an up close view of a fleet of bees loaded down with such giant bundles of nectar on their legs they could barely fly for the overabundance. I swear I could hear them cheering. Well, after that the cloud hanging over my head scattered and I was able to fully enjoy a date night filled with good food and bowling and watching TV. It's funny how feeling down can make you feel stuck inside your own head and how good it is in those times to turn your gaze from the inside to the out and take a little look around. I am so thankful for the gift of noticing, it certainly came in handy today.

1 comment:

  1. Those bees were carrying so much happiness on their bee thighs! It's made me want to bring cargo pants back into my wardrobe rotation. I could stuff them full of all sorts of good things and lumber drunkenly around town without a care in the world :)

    ReplyDelete