Gratitude is the sign of noble souls ~ Aesop


Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving ~ Kahlil Gabran


Joy delights in joy ~ William Shakespeare


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Unseen forces


Today I saw a science experiment that absolutely awed me. The scientist had a glass box with an open top and he filled it with a clear, odorless gas. This gas was so dense, however, that even though the glass box looked totally empty -- but the invisible gas was able to hold up an aluminum foil boat. The boat looked as though it were suspended in mid air -- but really it was floating along on a river of the unseen. How cool is that?? Unseen forces move the world every day and yet we get so used to them, we forget how powerful they really are. So I try to remember to look for them. To be glad that my feet touch the ground, held in place by gravity so I don't go floating away into space. To allow myself to be amazed when I think about all of the conversations that pass through me in a day from cell phone to cell phone -- waves of sound just flying by. And ever since I was a child I have been enthralled with the wind...how you couldn't see the wind itself, but you could see the things it moved, and that's how you knew it was there. CS Lewis once said that he believed in God as he believed in the sun, not because he could see it, but because by it he could see everything. That's how I've always felt about the breeze on the beach, I can't see it, but I can see how it moves everything around me -- the kites that dance, the birds that soar, the reeds that rustle. I love that if you close your eyes, you can hear it whisper, or sometimes you can hear it wail. Love how the wind seems to even have a personality, sometimes it's like a small child playing with my hair, tossing it into my eyes, other times it is wise and gentle, caressing my cheek after a good cry. Yes, I am grateful for all of the unseen forces in my life -- those invaluable invisibles that keep my heart, like the Earth, on its axis.

3 comments:

  1. 2 Corinthians 4:18
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

    ReplyDelete